How to Iron On Patches
Each embroidered patch comes with the option of no backing (ideal for sewing) or an adhesive backing, enabling you to iron it onto (almost) anything in a matter of seconds. Below is a step-by-step "how to" guide if you are unfamiliar with the process:
1. Lay the fabric or garment on a flat, heat-resistant surface - an ironing board always works best but in the absence of one a table with a sheet or towel on top would suffice;
2. Place the patch in the chosen position, ensuring the adhesive side is flat against the base fabric;
3. Set the iron to the hottest setting the fabric can tolerate*, making sure the 'steam' option is turned off, and that the iron isn't full of water;
4. Place a thin towel over the patch, position the heated iron on top and apply pressure by pressing down firmly for about 15 seconds;
5. Remove the iron and allow the patch to cool;
6. Once cool check to see whether the patch is fixed on securely and if not repeat the process for another 10 seconds.
Optional: use a sewing machine or needle and thread around the edges of the patch to keep it completely secure.
* check the care label of the fabric or garment before you start to see whether it can be ironed, and if so at what temperature - be particularly careful with polyester fabrics since applying the high heat necessary for ironing on patches can burn the fabric, melt it, or cause it to discolour. If you are unsure if your fabric or garment will provide a good surface for the patch, consider test ironing it first in an inconspicuous place. As a general rule of thumb, fabrics like cotton and denim are the best base for iron-on patches and most irons have a corresponding heat setting on them to indicate which temperature is best to use.
If you need to wash the garment after affixing the patch, hand wash it only using cold water and allow it to air dry.
Note that if you hate ironing, don't have an iron, or are terrified at the thought of making an irreversible decision, you can also skip the ironing part and simply sew the patch onto your chosen accessory or garment!
Below is a list of pages dedicated to other frequently queried topics:
Product Care and Use:
If you have a question that isn't answered in any of the above sections please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org